Monday, June 27, 2011

German Squad

Finished a second batch of five German infantry, so my first German squad is complete – now I can start toying around with rule sets to use in conjunction with the Platoon Forward campaign system.


Among the rules sets I'm considering are: 

Both Skirmish! and Men of Frost will work really well for up for small squad-size engagements (which is what the size of my figure collection limits me to at the moment). FUBAR and Battlefield Evolution World at War appear better-suited to platoon-size engagements (where I'd like to be eventually). Some other rules sets that have caught my interest in other people's blog posts appear to be out of print now (Face of Battle, Crossfire) so I'll have to see if I can track them down used somewhere.

All the houses are by Miniature Building Authority

On an unrelated note, Lock 'n Load publishing's Tank on Tank is a fun little game.  It really does play quickly and, clocking in at about 30 minutes a game, it's just the ticket for something light to kill time waiting for a coat of paint to dry on some minis or to play during a lull between chore and errand sessions on the weekend.

6 comments:

  1. Well done on the figures. Looking forward to seeing how your campaign with them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Figures & terrain look great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks all! Of course I cannot claim credit for the MBA houses since they come pre-painted (I wish I could do buildings that nicely!)

    ReplyDelete

Two Up, One Back

"The dominant (though not the only) tactical formation for the infantry in both attack and defense remained 'two up, one back.' This was a product of the triangular organization that the infantry used from platoon to division level. Triangular units had three main 'maneuver' elements (weapons units did not count as 'maneuver' elements). Rifle platoons had three squads; rifle companies three rifle platoons; battalions, three rifle companies; and so forth. This encouraged commanders to place two of their maneuver units forward while keeping back the third so that it could relieve or reinforce a frontline unit."

--John Sayen, U.S. Army Infantry Divisions 1944-45 (28)