Friday, June 10, 2011

Enemy Contact! – First German Infantry Models (and Some Eye-Candy)

One half of my first squad of Germans is complete – squad leader, LMG gunner and assistant, and two riflemen.



You may notice that the building in these photos is certainly not constructed by me. As I am at the completion point of two massive multi-year projects at work, I decided I would reward myself by throwing budgetary considerations momentarily to the wind and buying some buildings from the Miniature Building Authority.


MBA's buildings come pre-painted, and of course, run a little bit higher than unpainted buildings from other companies, but it's not like I'm going to build a massive Stalingrad-esque urban area with them. I just need a handful to represent part of a small town or village in Normandy or along the Siegfried line.


MBA makes some nice-looking buildings, far better than anything I've attempted to construct or paint. I like these so much I may well pick up just a couple more (but really just a couple, I don't think I could possibly afford more than that).

3 comments:

Two Up, One Back

"The dominant (though not the only) tactical formation for the infantry in both attack and defense remained 'two up, one back.' This was a product of the triangular organization that the infantry used from platoon to division level. Triangular units had three main 'maneuver' elements (weapons units did not count as 'maneuver' elements). Rifle platoons had three squads; rifle companies three rifle platoons; battalions, three rifle companies; and so forth. This encouraged commanders to place two of their maneuver units forward while keeping back the third so that it could relieve or reinforce a frontline unit."

--John Sayen, U.S. Army Infantry Divisions 1944-45 (28)