Sunday, May 15, 2011

Move Out!

I'm taking the plunge. I have decided to prepare a WWII campaign for Solo Nexus' Solo Gaming Month in November 2011. I spent this weekend painting my first set of WWII minis in several years.

1/72 Plastics from Valiant

I'm planning to use 1/72 plastics mostly because I already have four boxes of American and German Infantry on hand, purchased some time ago but still unpainted.

At 1/72, I won't be able to produce the same level of detail as I do with my 28mm fantasy minis, as can be seen in this close-up shot: 

The squad leader

But still, while less detailed than my 28mm fantasy figs, I think the photo at the top of the post shows that these minis pass the "arm's length test." And as I work with the scale more, I suspect I'll get better at it.

This blog will chronicle my progress toward the 40+ minis I need to get done between now and November to be able to run a minimal "starter" Platoon Forward solo campaign for Solo Gaming Month.

1 comment:

  1. They look good to me :)

    You cam always "wash" and "touch up" later ;)

    ReplyDelete

Two Up, One Back

"The dominant (though not the only) tactical formation for the infantry in both attack and defense remained 'two up, one back.' This was a product of the triangular organization that the infantry used from platoon to division level. Triangular units had three main 'maneuver' elements (weapons units did not count as 'maneuver' elements). Rifle platoons had three squads; rifle companies three rifle platoons; battalions, three rifle companies; and so forth. This encouraged commanders to place two of their maneuver units forward while keeping back the third so that it could relieve or reinforce a frontline unit."

--John Sayen, U.S. Army Infantry Divisions 1944-45 (28)